You’ve arrived at low-calorie and sugar-free Margarita heaven because we scored the best ever skinny margarita recipe from our favorite Naples, Florida poolside bartender, and we want to share it with all of you for Cinco de Mayo. After all, losing weight and getting healthy doesn’t have to feel like punishment.
- 4 oz. lime juice
- 2 oz. Tequila (we love Los Dos because it is produced in small batches using 100% blue agave and no added sugar or flavoring.)
- 1 tsp. Agave nectar
- Kosher Salt (to rim glass – optional but we love it!)
- Pour salt onto a small plate. Press a lime wedge around the rim of your glass and then dip the top of the glass into the salt. Fill your glass with plenty of ice.
- Fill a shaker with lots of ice. in the shaker add the lime juice, tequila, and agave. Shake to mix well.
- Strain into the glass
- Sit back and enjoy Cinco de Mayo!
ABOUT TEQUILA – Did you know NOT ALL TEQUILA IS THE SAME?
Mixto tequila is made from at least 51% agave, and up to 49% other sugars such as high fructose corn syrup.
100% Agave is made from at least 99% agave, allowing for up to 1% of additives, but still follows stricter guidelines than mixtos. 100% Agave tequila can be unaged and bottled as Blanco or it can be rested in oak barrels before bottling.
Aged tequilas generally are darker in color because of the time spent in barrels, though it is common for brands to add coloring and sweeteners to affect the look and taste of the tequila.
- Blanco is aged 0-2 months.
- Reposado is aged 2-12 months.
- Añejo is aged 1-3 years.
- Extra Añejo is aged more than 3 years.